ModMyPi Raspberry Pi Zero Case

ModMyPi Pi Zero CaseThe new Pi Zero case from ModMyPi

A small package arrived over the weekend, a redirection from my old address. Yes that £60 service from the Royal Mail is quite useful in ensuring whoever buys your home doesn’t steal your regular electronics deliveries.

Inside I found 5 colourful plastic cases that I’m pretty sure I didn’t order. On closer inspection I found that they were Pi Zero cases – ones I hadn’t seen in the wild before. I eventually found a business card from Jacob at ModMyPi which confirmed that this was a new range coming out.

Logistics aside, I’m of course keen to check out this new case and share some pictures with you. I’m also giving one away as it would be just plain greedy for me to keep all 5 for myself – so read on to find out how to get your dirty mitts on one…

Colours

The ModMyPi Raspberry Pi Zero case comes in Black, White, Blue, Green & Frosted.

I can’t decide which flavour I like the most – I’m torn between the rare blue colour, the almost ‘Pi Top‘ green and the nice frosted one that shows off your Zero‘s guts. Black is always a winner too, as is white. You could even mix the colours up. Tough one.

ModMyPi Pi Zero case colours

The case is available in 5 colour options

Assembly

Putting the case together is ridiculously easy thanks to it being made of just 3 push-together parts. No fixings or tools required:

Case assembly

Pop your Pi in and snap it together – it’s as easy as that

Port Access

Every port is accessible around your Pi Zero, including a smart cover on the SD card. It gives you the best of both worlds – SD protection whilst also easily being accessible.

The case comes with a plastic cover over the top and bottom of the GPIO section, which can be cut out if you have a header soldered (the case won’t close if you do). The only minor downside is that you can’t put them back if you change your mind:

case ports

Full access – every port and pin is accessible

Ventilation

I’m still not convinced that you need to worry about ventilation on a Pi, but if you are, the Raspberry Pi logo cut-out on the front provides some fresh air:

ModMyPi case ventilation

Breath in, breath out: your Pi may not have lungs, but it still enjoys fresh air.

Mounting

The underside doesn’t have any feet to stop is skating around on your desk, but then again, the Zero is so small and light that it’s unlikely feet would help anyway.

What they do come with is little M3 screw mount holes which will be really handy for more permanent projects:

Case screw mounts

Generic screw mount holes have been added to the underside

Hat Compatibility

Yep, you’re covered for HATs and add-on boards. With the GPIO section removed, pins are exposed and ready for hardware. Below you’ll see a ZeroSeg board mounted on top of the case:

HAT fitted to ModMyPi Zero case

Pi Zero HATs and add-on boards fit over the case

Price

ModMyPi require just five of your shiny pound coins for one of these new cases. That’s a steal for an injection moulded case, considering the setup costs that go into making these.

Win a ModMyPi Raspberry Pi Zero Case!

Want some of the action? Of course you do! I’m giving away one (random) ModMyPi Raspberry Pi Zero Case to one lucky reader – all you need to do is add a comment below telling me which colour you want and why. Go go go! (Winner announced Sunday 11th September)

Update: Pranav is our winner! Sounds like getting stock of certain Raspberry Pi parts is a bit tough over in India, so I’m sending him the blue case to show off to his friends. Email is on the way Pranav!

I’ll also be giving one away on my Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages – so keep an eye out!

Until next time…

34 Comments on "ModMyPi Raspberry Pi Zero Case"

1. Pierre-yves Baloche | 06/09/2016 at 09:30 | Reply

thanks you for the Post and this new product presentation. In case my comment gets selected, i’d like the green one to enhance again that “people’s magnet” effect that the PiZero has ! 🙂 Thanks

2. Ken Warren | 06/09/2016 at 09:36 | Reply

Black, it’s such a cool colour for a cool piece of kit.

3. Ian Borlace | 06/09/2016 at 10:03 | Reply

The clear one, just so you see the awesomeness of the Zero!

4. Blue, I want it because I don’t have a case for #pizero.

5. Peter Wright | 06/09/2016 at 10:14 | Reply

Those are some really nice PiZero cases, I’d say Clear would be my favourite, Always liked clear cases for electronics. 🙂

6. Nice review! My zero is without a case, so black would be my choice if Inget lucky! 🙂

7. Gillian Brodie | 06/09/2016 at 10:18 | Reply

Torn between blue and green but I think I’d have to go for green…a nice bright, fresh colour!

8. Mike greenwood | 06/09/2016 at 10:52 | Reply

Surely the green is so mean it’s a meta hulking lean machine!
    Also I just love that green
    😁

9. Carl Behrent | 06/09/2016 at 10:54 | Reply

Black for me, it’s a slimming colour 🙂

10. I would Have to say the green, would look great on my BirdBox IR Project

11. Blue. It is very nice, inspiring, and thought-provoking.. Very intelligent colour. It also reminds me of … this case “is really the most soothing shade of blue. I’m not kidding you. I notice those things. It’s a sky blue. Very calming. Very tranquil. I think the word for that particular shade is Cerulean, actually. Cerulean Blue. Cerulean makes me think of a breeze. A gentle breeze. Cerulean is like a gentle breeze. Cerulean Blue is a gentle breeze. . .”

12. White. Pretty much everything in my room is black, so it would be nice to have something lighter to keep me from losing the Pi

13. Alex Johansen | 06/09/2016 at 12:31 | Reply

Green, because it brings out my eyes (and is my sons favourite colour)

14. It has to be the black one for me. It would make a great stealth case for my PiZero running Pimoroni’s Enviro pHAT so that I can monitor my room when brewing the next batch of homebrew beer!

15. Green, so I can find it when I eventually lose it 😉

16. Blue looks a really nice!

17. Michael L | 06/09/2016 at 16:15 | Reply

Would love a white one coz it’s pure and simple just like the zero.

18. Slime green because Nickelodeon GUTS!

19. i like the white one, and i really need a case for my pi zero, i use it right now as a temperature monitor/log, ont got 1 sensor on it for the moment but will add some more later on to cover outdoor/livingroom/kitchen etc. Plus i really like the mounting holes in the back of the case!

20. I really like the green and would suit my birdbox project perfectly!

21. I choose the frosted, (clear), case so that the Pizero is visible to remind me of the amazing technology inside the case.

22. Green, because frogs are the coolest (my daughter says so)

23. Green. No, White. No, Green. No, White. No, Green. I’m from Northern Ireland – Home of the Green and White Army!

24. Clear, so that everyone can admire the awesomeness of my Pi Zero!

25. Love the clear one. I like being able to see the circuit board in maker projects.

26. Blue, because it’s my favourite colour.

27. Patrick Hubers | 07/09/2016 at 10:51 | Reply

Nice cases, nice review. I’d love a black one, because “you can never go wrong with a little black case” of course.

28. Matthew Hitchin | 07/09/2016 at 11:20 | Reply

It has to be Blue as it is my favorite colour.

29. Black… So I can lose my PiZero like every other small, black electronics-thingies I own.

30. Lee Robertson | 07/09/2016 at 21:21 | Reply

Gotta love the transparent to show off the Pi in its gutsy glory

31. Frosted…because that’s what I’ll be as I never win anything!!LOL

32. Frosted. Ever since I was lucky enough to be given a transparent game boy as a kid I’ve been all about having the inner workings on show!